As part of the craft room redo, I wanted to add some more storage for my fabric. It's been housed in two plastic tubs and a bazillion joann fabric bags.
|picture from sewmanyways.blogspot.com|
I got an old file cabinet from craigslist for $5!!! Most of them were $40 or more but this one was perfect. It's definitely used and had some rust spots, but I knew I was going to paint over it anyway.
I wiped it down and then taped off the handles. Then it was time to spray paint. This was my first time spray painting anything. I used a rustoleum primer that was good for metal. I used the whole can and did 4 thin coats.
Now for the fun part. I used Rustoleum Ultra Cover in Satin Lagoon. I wanted to go with a bold color since most everything else in the room will be a neutral. I love love how it turned out. I know I took pictures of the process, but I can't find them on the computer. I did 5 thin coats, which used the whole can.
Here's the pretty blue color. I wanted to stencil on it a bit too. I used Martha Stewart's new paint for Michaels and her stencil brushes and one of her stencils. All bought with 50% off coupons, of course.
This was my first time stenciling anything. I should have started on the side, since there was a bit of a learning curve. I started out with too big of a brush, so some paint bled through. I still love how it turned out, just don't look too close.
And here it is. The white and red really break up the blue so it's not too much.
To hang the fabric, I cut file folders in half and just wrapped the fabric around the folders and pinned it in place. Some folders have 2 pieces of fabric wrapped around. Now I can see all of my fabric and it doesn't get all wrinkly in a big bin. It's already full and I still have some more fabric. I'm going to have to come up with a secondary way to store some.