2.26.2011

quiet

He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing
-Zephaniah 3:17

I have learned what it means to quiet with love.  4 teeth in 6 weeks has taught me what it means to quiet with love.  I have held a screaming baby close to my chest and whispered sweet words of comfort.  I have kissed the top of a head full of pain.  I have gently patted a rigid back.  I have softly sung words to calm hurting cries.  I have kissed cheeks wet with tears.  My eyes have been full of tears as screams ring out from a little boy who doesn't understand.  My heart has been desperate to take away the pain from this baby.  I have longed to take his place.  I have quieted with love.

This verse has always been a loud verse.  And it is.  It is a verse of joy and protection.  It is a verse of praise for a God who loves and redeems.  But it is also a verse of quiet.  It is a verse that speaks of a Father who would give anything to take my place.  A Father who wipes away tears.  A Father who sings loudly but also a Father who sings softly.  A Father, who wishes like my mama heart, that growing came without pain.

And so I am thankful that he rejoices and sings over me.  But it is the quieting that I am most in need of.  When I am overwhelmed, tired, angry....I need him to quiet me.  When I am hurting and broken....I need him to quiet me.  Abba Father, quiet me.

1 comment:

  1. this made me cry, I can see your heart as you type. This is one of my favorite verses :)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete