9.22.2010

changing my thoughts

Free-Range Kids, How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts with Worry)

I knew this book would challenge me, but I didn't know how much.  I'm talking about the book Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy.  She's the mom who let her 9 year old ride the New York subway by himself a few years ago and took a lot of flack for it.  I vaguely remember the story from the news.
Now, right up front, I do not agree with everything that is in the book, but it was so good for me to read.  I am a worrier by nature and being a mom is bringing it out even more.  The first night we put Hudson in the crib in his room, I cried (a lot) and made sure my husband had closed and locked all the windows in his room and the living room.  So I know that I'm in for lots more worry and tears as Hudson grows up, especially if he's anything like his dad.
I want Hudson to have the type of childhood where he has friends in the neighborhood and I feel comfortable with him going to play with them.  I want him to walk to school by himself someday (I did and amazingly I never got lost!)
Skenazy's book helped me realize that a great number of my fears (abduction) are not really founded in facts.  Most kids are taken by a relative and your child has a more likely chance of dying in a car crash than being picked up by a stranger and killed.   I know there are horrible stories out there, but the media really plays them up.  I hope this book has helped me become less neurotic as I raise my kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment