2.22.2012

choo-choo

A certain little boy is obsessed with all things that move, especially trains.  We read a lot of books about trucks and cars and trains.  Over and over and over again.  One of our favorite books is Freight Train by Donald Crews.
 I found a great train clip art from this site and printed it off at 50% so it would be small enough for the shirt.
 Then I traced them on to some heat n bond backwards from the direction I wanted them to face.  I wrote the color that I wanted each train car on the paper so I wouldn't get confused.  The train in the book is all different colors and I wanted to mimic that.
 I just used fabric from my scrap bin.  I had to get a little creative with the purple.  That's what happens when you have a boy, I guess.
 I played around with how I wanted the train on the shirt.  I knew that I wanted it to wrap around to the back of the shirt.  I liked the diagonal train better than the one just straight across.

 I pealed off the back of the heat and bond and ironed it all on and then sewing around each car to help keep them in place.  I didn't do all of the details, like the wheels.  Just the basic outline of each car.


 I also sewed a long black line along the bottom of the train cars to be the track.  Here's the back of the shirt.
 Somebody loves his shirt.  He was so excited when I showed it to him and had to put it on right away.

     

linking up here


kojodesigns
The Southern Intitute

2 comments:

  1. You are so creative! I LOVE the shirt. How fun for hudson to have such a fun mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice job, Cathy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete