10.21.2010

saving money

Be CentsAble: How to Cut Your Household Budget in HalfI just finished reading Be CentsAble by Chrissy Pate and Kristin McKee.  I've been trying to find ways to save us money, especially on groceries.  We used to go to the grocery store several times each week and spent way to much money on food.  I never planned meals, especially when I was pregnant.
This book had a lot of great tips, especially about planning meals.  They said that it's one of the easiest ways to save money, because you don't go to the store every other day.  I've started planning meals since I've been staying home.  It has made a world of difference.  It's so nice to only go to the store once a week or so, especially with a baby.  It's also great to kind of know what we're having to eat for dinner.  I don't pick meals for specific days, I just pick 7-8 meals to buy things for and then pick on the day of what we're going to eat.  I usually pick a soup, a breakfast for dinner, and a pasta each week and then other things we want to eat.  I've been trying to plan based on what's on sale, but that's been a little more challenging. 
The book also talks a lot about using coupons.  I've started using them and even snagged a great deal for a subscription to the local paper.  I haven't quite figured out the best way to organize them.  Websites that match the weekly ads with coupons are a lifesaver.  I don't have enough time to match coupons with sales.  If you're trying to save money, I would definitely recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment