10.06.2011

play for a toddler {day 6}

Today was all about following Hudson's lead.  After nap and late lunch, I got ready to sing some songs and dance with him.  Let's just say it didn't go according to plan.

Mommy and Me: Music! Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes; Ring Around the Rosy
I started singing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes with him, which was more like wresting him than singing.  The kid did not want to join in.  Then we did a few rounds of Ring Around the Rosy, which he seemed to enjoy better.  And he totally got the "all fall down" part.  But then he was pretty adamant that he was going to ride his rocking horse.  Rather than struggle with him, we got out the horse and then I sang some songs about horses while he was riding it.  I figured the real over arching goal is intentional time with him, not necessarily the content. 

Most of the songs and rhymes that I do with him are from the library's Baby Time and Toddler Time.  I use their little rhymes all the time when we're waiting for something or at the grocery store.  I also use them at work with the other kids, even though they sometimes look at me like I'm crazy.

Busy Box: Pool Noodle and Rope
When I needed to start cooking dinner, I pulled out this activity.  Basically, I cut a pool noodle into 2 inch pieces.  Then I took a piece of rope and tied knots at each end.  The goal would be for him to thread the "beads" on.  I think he's still a little too young for this.  He gets the concept and gets the rope right there, but can't quite pull it through.  He still enjoys it though, especially taking them off the rope after I have thread them on.  We'll keep pulling it out so he can get better at it. 

What really kept him busy while I was cooking, though, was the dishwasher.  Seriously, he would play with it all day.  He loves to take the little wheels off the bottom rack and open and close it and pull the rack out.  Of course it's empty when he plays with it, although he's really good at bringing me plastic dishes when I'm putting things away.

No comments:

Post a Comment